Position Title: Shift Supervisor
Location: New Haven, CT area
Position Type: Temp-to-hire
Salary: $22/hour ($26/hr after approx. 3 months)
Position Number: 9419
Our Client is a subsidiary of a major international company handling petroleum, petrochemicals, biofuels, coal, and more. They have asked Hallmark to help them find a Shift Supervisor for their plant near New Haven, CT.
This person in this position oversees the manufacture of biofuel products. S/he has a leadership role in all facets of biofuel production, and works with the Production Manager, Quality Control, and Logistics staff to plan and schedule plant operations. The Shift Supervisor monitors production, quality, equipment, and the work of the chemical operators on his/her assigned team. This role will also participate in an ‘on-call’ rotation, as needed, as this facility operates 24 hours per day, every day of the year.
This is a temp-to-hire position, transitioning to regular staff (at $26/hr) after approximately 3 months.
- Studies schedules, and estimates time and labor to complete job assignments as efficiently and effectively as possible.
- Sets realistic goals and is able to plan plant activities independently.
- Follows an ordinary routine without supervision.
- Assists Production Manager, Quality Control, and Logistics staff with planning operations.
- Directly supervises work performed by vendors and/or contractors as necessary.
- Operates and monitors all plant control systems and computerized equipment (Delta V).
- Makes multiple plant rounds to check equipment and troubleshoot potential processing problems. Takes appropriate corrective action.
- Monitors process operating parameters and utility infrastructure operations (i.e. boilers, water treatment, vacuum system, etc.).
- Works with Chemical Operators to assure that pressure and temperature specifications are within tolerance, and fuel batches are within standards, at specified checkpoints.
- Analyzes data for potential quality issues, or mechanical malfunctions. Handles minor issues when possible; contacts Production Manager, Quality Control, Logistics and/or the Maintenance Supervisor when necessary.
- Recommends preventative maintenance; undertakes minor repairs when possible.
- Solves problems as they arise, by evaluating the situation and reaching valid conclusions, based on subjective or objective criteria, knowledge, past experiences, and factual data.
- Troubleshoots rotating and heat transfer equipment, and utility infrastructure (boilers, cooling tower, air compressors, vacuum system, water treatment, etc.)
- Leads by example, with a hands-on approach.
- Supervises Chemical Operators to ensure plans are implemented. Monitors Operators’ daily work assignments, and provides assistance when needed.
- Communicates shift change information with Operators on the team.
- Continuously provides Operators with feedback to support appropriate behavior and improve employee performance.
- Conducts and evaluates employee performance reviews.
- Ensures that Operators are following the work schedule, including regular attendance and punctuality within Company guidelines. Works with the Manager of Production, Quality Control, and Logistics to begin counseling if necessary.
- Works with the Manager of Production, Quality Control, and Logistics to provide Operators with appropriate training; ensures that Operators are in compliance with all environmental, health and safety policies and company objectives.
- Provides Production Manager, Quality Control, and Logistics with a daily summary of their shift activities.
- Works to develop and implement Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and create training programs for Chemical Operators.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
- High School diploma or GED is required
- 3+ years’ experience in a process plant environment, preferably in chemicals, biofuels or petrochemical production.
- 2+ years of supervisory experience.
- Must be able to interpret instructions provided in written, verbal, or diagram form.
- Ability to handle problems that have few concrete variables, and may not be in a standardized form, in order to make simple, work-related decisions.
- Ability to troubleshoot and problem-solve under pressure/deadlines.
- Experience with developing/documenting procedures.
- Computer proficiency with multiple computer programs, including shift notes and Delta V, is strongly preferred.
- Aptitude in learning company- specific programs related to areas such as quality control and analytical equipment.
- Experience with process & equipment controls.
- Able to read and understand piping diagrams, process and instrumentation diagrams (P&IDs) and other technical documents
- Thorough understanding of safety requirements, and able to respond to normal hazards and take appropriate action.
- Familiarity with EPA, DOT, OSHA, and similar federal/state regulations associated with biodiesel manufacturing.
- Must be able to follow a set schedule, maintain regular attendance and punctuality.
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities and competing demands with flexibility.
- Experience working with distillation, filter presses, centrifuges, or batch reactors is preferred.
- Must be able to read, write and speak English fluently. Spanish a plus.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Valid driver’s license; ability to meet minimum DOT requirements and get a TWIC card (TWIC can be obtained after employment).
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment drug test and adhere to mandatory drug testing program (random, for-cause and post-accident testing).
- Physical requirements of this position include: extended standing on concrete floor; use of a man lift up to 65ft..; kneeling, stooping, and bending; sitting; use of computer; pushing/pulling; reaching above the shoulders; carrying, lifting, and/or moving 100 to 250 lbs assisted; ability to maneuver of up to 600 lbs with handcart; repetitive hand movements with a firm grasp with the right and/or left hand; ability to work outside in various climates and conditions; ability to manage contact/exposure to chemicals ordinarily found in a biodiesel facility.
To view other Hallmark jobs, please go to www.HallmarkJobs.com
Hallmark and our Client are Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employers. We encourage all qualified people with the current right to work for any employer in the USA to apply. NOTE: We cannot consider H-1 Visa candidates for this position. Principals only, please.
|Job Category||Chemicals, Facilities, Industrial, Maintenance, Management, Manufacturing|